The traction controls or Stabilitrak are safe for your vehicle. But if you’re coming out of the snow or trying to get out of the freezing hell, there’s a good chance your vehicle will get stuck! And that’s because you must learn how to turn off StabiliTrak system.
In such delicate situations, if the StabiliTrak is not deactivated, the vehicle will gradually reduce power. And to get out of that situation, you’ll need an extra boost. Turning off the StabiliTrak will help you deal with the situation.
Here we will show you several processes to disable that. The methods will vary from car to car and from model to model. However, we will try to mention all the available vehicles. Take a look at these methods, I hope they can help you.
- 1 What Is Stabilitrak?
- 2 What Does Service Stabilitrak Mean?
- 3 How to Turn off Stabilitrak System in Different Cars
- 4 How To Reset Service Stabilitrak Light
- 5 What Would Cause The Stabilitrak Light To Come On?
- 6 How to fix StabiliTrak?
- 7 How Much Does It Cost to Fix the StabiliTrak?
- 8 Can I Drive With Stabilitrak Light On?
- 9 FAQs
- 10 Conclusion
What Is Stabilitrak?
StabiliTrak is the name of General Motors’ patented electronic stability control (ESC) system. GM’s StabiliTrak is an ESC system that not only stops the wheels to save the vehicle from slip but also adjusts the vehicle’s trajectory.
Service StabiliTrak Chevy
For example, Chevrolet’s StabiliTrak technology is activated through the steering wheel position sensor. The sensor compares the location of the wheels with the actual steering reaction of the vehicle.
Based on what Chevy’s StabiliTrak system detects, it can modify the braking or torque. The driver maintains control of the car and remains on the road in this manner.
Service StabiliTrak GM
GM’s StabiliTrak, on the other hand, uses the brakes to prevent wheel slippage and modify the vehicle’s trajectory. It can even detect when the driver has completely lost control of the car.
Thanks to this early identification, the system is able to combine engine power and brake pressure in record time, thus preventing accidents.
What Does Service Stabilitrak Mean?
The Stabilitrak Service message means that some type of error has occurred in the Stabilitrak system, which is a traction control system (TCS) found in all standard safety-rated vehicles. Possible causes of the Service StabiliTrak message include input sensor failure, controller failure, or faulty connection.
How to Turn off Stabilitrak System in Different Cars
How to Turn off StabiliTrak is one of the most frequently asked questions by vehicle owners. We’ll show you how to turn off your vehicle’s traction control.
If you own a Ford or identical vehicle, you can use this process. However, the process will depend on the model of your Ford.
- To turn off the Stabilitrak, you must first press the traction control button. After pressing it, release the button immediately.
- Hold down the control button for a while. This will turn off the traction control.
- However, in some cases, you will have to go through the car’s menu. The steering wheel controls will play a very important role here. With these steering wheel controls in the instrument cluster, you will be able to make your way around.
- Look at the left side of the steering wheel. Here you have to look for the black arrow and press it.
- Now, after doing the above, you must scroll down with the help of the down arrow again, all you need to do is try to control the setting.
- Once you have reached the settings, select accept. When you are done with this you will immediately get more options than you saw before.
- From the new options, you should select DRIVER ASSIST. But in this option, remember to press the OK button again.
- Now you will see the DRIVE CONTROL option in front of you. Congratulations, you are done with the process. Now all you need to do is check the steering wheel and press OK, and you are ready.
If you own a Volkswagen or identical car, the process may be a little different. We will show you how to turn off your car’s traction control.
- You must convert your vehicle to accessory mode. Here, always be sure to keep the ignition in position, but do not start the engine.
- After you have done the above. You must go through the lights. Put your hands on the warning lights.
- If you don’t know which one it is, don’t worry, just find the triangle button and press it.
- After you press it, the warning lights will come on and you are ready to move on to the next step.
- Now you must press the accelerator pedals. Start slowly, press the accelerator pedal once, and then repeat the process 4 more times, for a total of 5 times.
- As a result of pressing the accelerator pedal, the car will move forward. It will move a few feet and then the TC will come back on. The vehicle will do this automatically.
Note: in most cases, some safety features will be disabled if you perform the process, all you need to do is reactivate them again to fully enjoy your car.
In this case, Toyota has an easier process, since it has a VSC button.
- Press and hold the button for a few seconds.
- Ready, this will do the job itself, it will disable the VSC along with the TRAC, after the process is completed you will see a message like VSC OFF along with the TRAC OFF indicators
Chevrolet and GMC
In the particular case of GMC or Chevy, traction control and StabiliTrak can be activated as follows:
- Press the center button, pass through the button on the mainboard.
- Now all you have to do is press the button and hold it there for a few seconds, you will see the traction control turn on.
- Then it will display a DIC message, If you have a GMC Sierra, you will easily understand what we are talking about.
- Well, now you just have to wait, the Stabilitrak in your car will turn on automatically.
- It will happen if your vehicle reaches 56km/h or more and, you should know that the traction control will also turn off.
FIAT, RAM, Dodge Jeep y Chrysler
With the vehicle stopped, but turned on, perform this process:
- Press the ESC button. Hold it there for about 6 seconds.
- You will now hear a buzzer,… Ready, in the instrument group you will see ESC OFF.
How To Reset Service Stabilitrak Light
The Stabilitrak warning light on the instrument panel usually comes on. This may be due to a software or computer malfunction, which you can fix by pressing the Stabilitrak button or doing the process described above for your vehicle, or it may be because the system has a problem that needs to be fixed.
Before attempting to reset any warning light, it is recommended that you perform the appropriate diagnostic checks, as warning lights are your truck’s only means of communicating problems. Follow this guide to reset StabiliTrak light after you have completed the diagnostic check.
Step to Reset Service Stabilitrak Light
Make sure the Stabilitrak button is not pressed manually; otherwise, the Stabilitrak system may be disabled due to current weather conditions. If none of these statements are true, read on to learn how to reset the system.
- Step 1: Turn the handwheel clockwise. (If it shuts off, the vehicle does not need service, otherwise, follow the other steps.)
- Step 2: Turn off the vehicle
- Step 3: Wait 15 seconds
- Step 4: Turn the vehicle on
If the DIC message disappears, the vehicle is no longer in need of repair. If the message persists, contact your local dealer or a professional repair shop for assistance.
What Would Cause The Stabilitrak Light To Come On?
When this warning indicator light comes on in the dashboard, it may mean that the system is not working properly, is receiving a bad signal, or has shut down. If the traction service light is also on, there is a possibility that the StabiliTrak system has problems. Let’s look at the most common reasons:
1. Input Sensor
One of the most typical causes of Service StabiliTrak warning alerts appearing on the dashboard. These faulty sensors may be associated with wheel speed, steering angle, or rate of turn.
The problem should be resolved by promptly replacing the affected sensor with your model at your local service facility.
2. Faulty Controller
In this situation, a faulty powertrain control module (PCM) could be the culprit. The StabiliTrak system is activated when the electronic sensor at each wheel communicates with the PCM about stability and steering performance. This is particularly critical during extreme weather conditions.
3. Bad Connection
Damage to the GM-LAN communication line can sometimes result in the failure of the Service StabiliTrak connection. In manufacturing, General Motors uses GM-LAN communication cables, which are wiring harness shielded by a plastic jacket that extends to the transmission mechanism.
To protect the wiring and critical gearbox components, the heat shield is mounted on the gearbox.
However, when the plastic coverages and is exposed to high temperatures over an extended period of time, it can become brittle and become detached. As a result, the GM-LAN communication channel is vulnerable. A portion of the GM-LAN cable can also be pushed against the heat shield and partially melt the plastic cable jacket.
Grounding of the GM-LAN line can disrupt communications between the body control computers, including the StabiliTrak system.
Although there are other causes for the StabiliTrak service warning, wiring and grounding problems are another possibility.
How to fix StabiliTrak?
The Service StabiliTrak error message indicates that there is a problem. StabiliTrak can sometimes be repaired by cycling the basic engine ignition:
- Stop and turn off your vehicle.
- Let it sit for at least 20 seconds.
- When you start the standby vehicle, the notification should go away.
- If it does not, you should get assistance.
How Much Does It Cost to Fix the StabiliTrak?
The average cost to replace a vehicle’s traction control system or StabiliTrak is $80 to $90. This includes labor costs, which can range from $30 to $50 depending on where you live and the auto dealer. At the same time, the cost of these components is between $20 and $40.
Some cars with problems with Stabilitrak service messages that require sensor replacement can cost between $250 and $400 per vehicle.
Since Service StabiliTrak warns that there is no obvious cause, it is a good idea to understand the possible causes before choosing the next step. If none of these solutions work, it is recommended that the car be taken to a repair shop near you.
Can I Drive With Stabilitrak Light On?
It is only safe to drive with the Traction Control System (TCS)/StabiliTrak Light on if and only if the light appears when you are losing traction.
Turning off the Traction Control System (TCS)/StabiliTrak Light can cause your vehicle to skid and spin, which could cause problems on the road.
What causes traction control to malfunction?
ABS and traction control often cause problems because traction control sensors or anti-lock braking sensors are always exposed and can be disrupted by dirt or another build-up
Why are my StabiliTrak and ABS light on?
ABS is failing
Traction control and ABS share the same control module and the same internal self-diagnostic system. Therefore, if a problem occurs in the ABS, it will turn on the traction control light. Because of this, both lights will be on.
The StabiliTrak button is located on the center console. If you do not have this button on your console, your vehicle does not have Stabilitrak.
StabiliTrak service messages are reliable signals of faults in the vehicle’s StabiliTrak system. StabiliTrak technology, as a standard safety feature, protects the driver from wheel slippage and prevents accidents on bumpy roads.
The most common reasons for StabiliTrak service messages are caused by input sensors, controller problems, and bad connections.
In an emergency, it is sometimes best to turn off the StabiliTrak system to increase power. Disabling StabiliTrak varies by vehicle and model.
Now you know how to turn off Stabilitrak, we try to detail the process as simple as possible, you do not need more hands than yours to do it, but always keep in mind the safety measures.