Getting into the car and finding a bad cigarette smell in the car is one of the most unpleasant moments there is.
Smoke odor is one of the main causes of concern and discomfort in cars. It can be very difficult for people to get rid of the smell even with regular cleaning. However, there are a few ways to get rid of it without spending too much money and time. One of them is to use car air fresheners. You can use them as a temporary solution until you can clean your car properly.
If you can smell smoke in your vehicle, you should look for what is wrong. In this article, I will take you step by step on how to remove smoke smell from your car.
Cigarette smell in the car can depreciate the value of your vehicle by 7 to 9% because of this.
Now you are wondering how to remove the smoke smell from your car… and you quickly think of an air freshener or chemical spray, let me tell you that this will only mask the bad smoke smell for a short period of time.
Unfortunately, the cigarette smell is quite difficult to eliminate, but not impossible, now let’s understand how you can fight it.
Why Is It So Difficult To Get Rid Of Cigarette Smoke?
Cigarette smoke is notoriously difficult to remove. It is a combination of many factors that make it so difficult, including the fact that it is not only smoke but also a cocktail of chemicals (over 8000) and other particulates.
There are many reasons why tobacco smoke is so difficult to remove, including the fact that the materials in cigarette smoke can penetrate surfaces, even if they are non-porous.
Now you know why it is difficult to remove.
Getting Rid Of Smoke In The Car Vs. Masking It
When you have a car that smells like smoke, it can be hard to get rid of the smell. People think that if they can’t get rid of the smell, masking it with different scents is a good idea, however, this is a temporary option.
In recent years there has been an increase in the use of air purifiers, air fresheners, and so on to help reduce the smell of smoke in cars. However, these methods are not always effective because they cannot completely eliminate the odor or mask it effectively.
Not only that, but you’re filling your vehicle with chemicals that can damage your health over time.
But don’t worry, in the next section, we’ll show you how to remove smoke odor effectively.
How to Get Smoke Smell Out of Your Car [Tips]
- Cleaning carpets with a carpet cleaner
- Vacuum your car
- Hang an air freshener or aroma diffuser on the dashboard of your car and turn on the heating and air conditioning for 30 minutes.
- Replace your car’s air filters approximately every 12,000 to 15,000 miles.
- Spray fabric and upholstery cleaner on seats, floor mats, and even seat belts.
- For a fresh smell, place several fabric softener wipes or a small open packet anywhere in the car.
- If the odor is still pungent, spray a very diluted cleaner down the heating ducts.
- Regularly shampoo car fabrics and apply directly to carpets and seats.
- Use baking soda, it is a natural deodorant that has multiple uses. Rub the baking soda on all fabric surfaces you can use a ragged brush or even your hands, wait at least 30 minutes or up to a day for the baking soda to have more effect. To remove the baking soda, vacuum the tissues at least two times.
- Use crumpled newspaper, it is a penetrating odor absorber, spread a good amount all over the car, and wait 48 hours.
- Put roasted coffee grounds all over the car for a day, spreading them on 6 strategically placed plates. Leave the windows down about 0.32 centimeters and wait a day.
- Spray the seats and carpets with a small amount of ammonia or vinegar in a container overnight.
- Spray the seats and carpets with an odor neutralizer.
- You can also improvise a homemade air freshener with orange and lemon peels.
What is the best way to remove smoke smell from your car? prevent people, like you, from smoking in it.
Remember that a vehicle that smells of cigarette smoke can devalue up to 9%, as we have already said.
In conclusion, there are many ways to remove the smoke smell from your car. The most effective way is to scrub the interior with baking soda and water. This will remove the smoke smell from your car.