Car, motorcycle, and bicycle tires require an adequate amount of air for optimum performance. This air pressure makes the tire run smoothly. If you want to know the recommended amount of air pressure for your tire, check the information on the sidewall of the tire. In some cases, it is necessary to know how to loosen the rusted nuts of the tires in order to remove or deflate them.
Tools Needed To Deflate Tires
- Air pressure gauge
- Hydraulic jack (if you want to deflate your tire completely)
Steps to Deflate Tires
If you overinflated your tire and want to deflate it, here are the steps to follow:
- Stand in front of the tire you want to deflate and use a pressure gauge to measure the tire’s air pressure.
- Now remove the valve from your tire
- Use a screwdriver or a tool with a pointed end.
- Place the screwdriver on the valve and press it in. Once pressed, the air will start to come out.
- Once the tire is deflated, use the air pressure gauge and check that the pressure is in the required range.
How to remove a tire valve
The valve located inside the valve stem connected to your vehicle’s wheel keeps the air inside the tires. Removing the Schrader valve from the valve stem quickly releases the air from the tires and allows you to replace a damaged valve. Specialized tools allow you to pull the valve shutoff valve from the valve stem without damaging the tire or losing valve components.
- Rotate the valve cap counterclockwise to remove it from the end of the valve stem. Set the valve cap aside.
- Align the slotted end of a valve core removal tool with the valve end of the tire. Push the tool toward the valve. Turn the handle of the tool counterclockwise to loosen the tire valve. Hold the tool over the valve to prevent the valve from shooting out of the valve stem.
- Pull the tire valve from the valve stem when the air coming out of the tire decreases to a slow hissing sound. Pulling the tire valve out prematurely will cause the valve to shoot out of the valve stem and cause serious injury.
- Remove the tire valve from the tire using the valve base removal tool.
Tips for Deflating Tires
- Before performing the process described above, be sure to check the tire pressure.
- If your vehicle is stuck, deflate the tire by removing half of the air.
- Use a hydraulic jack if you want to deflate your tire completely.