Jeep and truck owners who often go off-road driving must have a good quality jeep winch in their travel gear. At some point on the trail, getting stuck is inevitable, even for the seasoned and skilled jeep drivers. Having a jeep winch allows the driver to get himself out of sticky situations and remain safe without opting for unsafe methods or relying on other vehicles for assistance.
Winches are ultimate off-road accessories that pull your jeep from stuck surfaces and clear huge obstacles in the terrain. However, not all winches are the same. That’s why you must consider various factors in choosing the perfect jeep winch that suits your requirements.
It can be quite a hassle if you do not have prior experience in picking the best winch for your jeep. To make things easier, we will provide all the information you need to choose the top winches in the market for your vehicle.
So, What exactly is a Winch?
The winch is a powerful mechanical tool that’s strong enough to pull your vehicle out when stuck, or you need to remove heavy obstacles from the trail. It can be fixed to the front bumper of your jeep and features the following parts:
- Cables – Depending on the type of winch you use, the steel or synthetic rope that winds around the winch drum has the pulling capacity to withstand more than 10,000 pounds.
- Winch Hook – Made using steel, it helps attach your vehicle to another vehicle or object.
- Winch Drum – The cylindrical part of the jeep winch where the cables are wound up. When the drum rotates, the slack either tightens or loosens.
- Motor – The power source connects to the vehicle’s battery. When you turn on the motor, the winch drum rotates.
Benefits Of Using The Best Jeep Winches
If you’re still unsure whether you should get a winch for your jeep, here are some benefits you need to look at.
- Provides more power – Though you can get help from any other off-road vehicle to free yourself from a trapped situation, using a winch is better. Since it provides more torque, leverage, and power, the winch allows you to free yourself from whatever you are stuck in.
- Pull huge obstacles – If you are an off-road racer or enthusiast, keeping a winch in your accessory kit will be helpful. These tools enable you to remove heavy objects from the trail with ease. In fact, it can also be used for loading or unloading vehicles onto a trailer or pulling your jeep free from sand, sticky mud, or holes.
- Reduces severe damages – To pull your vehicle out from nearly any situation, if you are planning to get help from a towline or attach the cable to another vehicle, it can cause damage to your jeep. Using a winch reduces the possibility of damage to your vehicle.
Different Types of Jeep Winches
Typically the winches come in two categories – hydraulic and electrical winches. Earlier, hydraulic winches were commonly used as they were considered more powerful due to their unparalleled strength and weight capacity. Electrical winches are also regarded as powerful due to the technological advancement in winch motors.
Here we will find out what makes each of these winches unique.
- Hydraulic winches:
Hydraulic winches function when you connect them directly to your vehicle’s power steering system. You can use this winch as long as you want, and it is more powerful than the electric devices for pulling heavy objects. This makes it more expensive than the electric units.
If you have a high budget and wish to use the winch to pull out jeeps of 4000+ pounds, you can opt for a hydraulic winch. Meanwhile, if it’s for personal use, it’s always advisable to opt for electric winches as they are more affordable.
- Electric winches:
Known as the most common type, this winch is apt for towing smaller vehicles. This type of winch can be powered using your vehicle’s battery and is more convenient since you need not turn on your Jeep’s engine to operate it. If your budget lies within a few hundred, you can opt for an electric winch to pull your jeep out from where it is stuck.
How to pick the Best Winch For Jeeps:
Why not pay attention to these Key Features:
Having a reliable and powerful winch onboard is essential while going off-road. Look at the information given below:
- Cable Type – The type of cable installed on the winch plays a crucial role in determining the performance and applicability of the gadget. Typically, there are two kinds of cables that are:
1. Synthetic Cables: Made using urethane and polyethylene, it is generally easy to handle and light in weight. These cables are considered durable and relatively new to the market.
2. Steel Cables: Known for their resilience to harsh conditions, steel cables can withstand longer and have heavy pulling capacities.
- Pull capacity – An ideal winch must have a pull line rating that’s 1.5 times your Jeep’s gross weight to function well.
- Remote control – Choosing remote-controlled wireless winches allows users to pull the vehicle from a safe distance. The ideal option has coverage that ranges from 50 feet to 100 feet.
- Mounting options – You will come across different winch mounting options such as multi-mounted, integrated winch bumpers, and bumper-mounted winches.
Off-road enthusiasts who love taking their jeeps through rough terrains must have a winch in their tool kit. The reason is that even if you’re stuck axle-deep in a muddy pit or road pile, with the help of the perfect jeep winch, you will be able to rescue yourself and remain stress-free.
Though it seems a simple gadget, winches are powerful in pulling out heavy and bulky objects using heavy-duty cables. With the help of a good quality winch and an extremely powerful jeep, you can even pull a standard car from a muddy pit or hole. Installed to your vehicle’s front end, this device is a lifesaver in most circumstances.
Additionally, you need not be an off-roader to get a high-quality winch, as these gadgets are helpful in moving large obstacles, loading trailers, and many more.