As an owner of a heavy-duty truck, it is essential to maintain the Powerstroke engine in good condition to keep it running for miles. The best way to keep your 6.7 Powerstroke running without hiccups is by opting for high-quality motor oil.
Quality engine oil helps in the proper cooling, sealing, lubrication, and protection of the engine parts. After spending a huge amount on your heavy-duty truck, resorting to cheaper motor oils is not advisable. Powerstroke engines take over the rough terrains; using the best lubricating oil and changing it at regular intervals will help prevent premature wear and tear.
When it comes to 6.7 Powerstroke, 10W-30 viscosity is the best choice for normal use, 5W -40 is needed for heavy-duty, and 15W -40 is required for biodiesel usages. If you’re interested in getting these engine oils for your 6.7 Powerstroke, keep reading to find what you need to keep in mind while choosing the best engine oil.
- 1 Best Oil For 6.7 Powerstroke
- 2 Understanding The 6.7 Powerstroke
- 3 Factors To Consider While Picking The Best Oil For 6.7 Powerstroke
- 4 Frequency of Changing 6.7 Powerstroke’s Motor Oil
- 5 Final Verdict
Best Oil For 6.7 Powerstroke
Ford’s Powerstroke diesel engines are some of the most durable engines ever made. The 6.7-liter Powerstroke engine has been named one of the best in the world for longevity and fuel economy. Regular maintenance and proper engine oil are two things every diesel engine needs. We have compiled a list of the best engine oils for the 6.7 Powerstroke.
1. Motorcraft Synthetic Engine Oil
- Leading Manufacturer Of High-Quality Products
- International Renown For Our Diverse Range Of Award-Winning Products
- Fully Equipped With State-Of-The-Art Technology
2. Valvoline Full Synthetic Engine Oil
- PROVEN TO MINIMIZE WEAR with enhanced anti-wear additives that form an extra layer of defense between your engine’s critical moving parts
- RESIST OIL BREAKDOWN with superior antioxidants that guard against oil-degrading oxygen, keeping oil working longer and extending the life of your engine
- FIGHT SLUDGE & DEPOSITS with our advanced detergent system that keeps cylinder walls and moving parts in your engine clean
3. Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40
- Country of origin : United states
- Better fuel economy - compared to 15W-40 oils Rotella offers enhanced fuel economy capability of 1.5% without compromising engine protection or durability
- Improved wear performance - provides a significantly increased level of protection against harmful engine wear when compared to previous generation API CJ-4...
4. Royal Purple Duralec Ultra 10w30
- High performance synthetic oil made diesel engines requiring the use of an emissions compliant oil for the 2007 and 2010 emissions equipment
- Specially formulated to maximize component life and extend drain intervals
- Features improved fuel performance with excellent high temperature break down resistance
Understanding The 6.7 Powerstroke
The 6.7 Powerstroke diesel engine was officially launched in the market by Ford in 2011. With a 6.7 L capacity, this v8 turbocharged engine requires almost 13 quarts of motor oil for its smooth running.
The engine takes pride in delivering an impressive torque of 675 to 935 lb-ft and has a horsepower that ranges between 270 to 450 hp. Lastly, the net weight of this diesel engine is around 970 pounds.
Factors To Consider While Picking The Best Oil For 6.7 Powerstroke
Now that you’ve got a clear understanding of how this engine looks, let’s find out what factors you need to keep in mind while purchasing the best oil for this 6.7 Powerstroke engine.
1. Oil Efficiency
One of the main aspects of lubricating oil is making sure that the engine’s metallic contacts are minimal. In addition to that, if the motor oil meets the specific requirements set by the manufacturing company, it’s said to be trustworthy, efficient, and compatible with your Powerstroke.
Due to high temperatures and emission of combustion byproducts, your 6.7 Powerstroke requires high engine protection. This is why it is important to avoid the cheaper options and stick to high-quality motor oils. Furthermore, good quality oil prevents viscosity loss at high temperatures, boosts fuel economy, and keeps your engine running in good shape.
When it comes to lubricating oil’s viscosity, it indicates the level of high and low temperatures it can resist. In other words, the oil thickness plays a crucial role in selecting the right motor oil for your Powerstroke.
You need 5W -40 viscosity for heavy-duty vehicles and 15W -40 for biodiesel engine uses for smooth operations. For normal use of 6.7 power stroke engines, 10W -30 rating motor oil is the best choice.
Also, based on the temperature change, the viscosity of the motor oil keeps varying. To prevent this from happening, manufacturers include improvers to the oil these days. Due to these additions, you will come across two grades of motor oil in the market.
- Multi-grade engine oil: This option is suitable for high and low temperatures and is available as 15W -40 and 5W -40 options.
- Mono-grade engine oil: This type is classified into summer grades for warmer temperatures and winter for colder temperatures.
The above suggestions may vary based on your car model; hence it’s advisable to go through the user manual before making your final decision.
3. Additive Packaging
Certain types of additives are added to it to protect the engine oil from contaminants and keep it in top form for long. Some of the additives that automobile manufacturers include are friction promoters, antifoam agents, antioxidants, anti-rust agents, and anti-wear products.
While choosing the best oil for your 6.7 Powerstroke, in most cases, it’s packed with a superior additive that protects the engine from grime, sludge, varnish, contaminants, and harmful deposits.
Powerstroke engines are mostly used to drive around in rough terrains; it’s natural to accumulate in large quantities. Using motor oils packed with additives safeguards the Powerstroke from oil oxidation, acidity, and soot buildup.
On a positive note, you need not worry about scheduling a frequent oil change by using engine oils designed for heavy-duty trucks. This is because it comes packed with superior additives that prolong wear and tear.
Frequency of Changing 6.7 Powerstroke’s Motor Oil
Suppose you happen to be the proud owner of a heavy-duty truck or tractor. In that case, it is essential to conduct regular engine maintenance to extend the lifespan of your motor engine.
But, most individuals are not aware of how often they should schedule these repairs. Due to advanced technology, most high utility cars have specially designed sensors that pop up notifications on the dashboard to indicate the next oil change schedule.
If your heavy-duty vehicle is not equipped with this modern technology, it’s advisable to schedule an oil change after every 5000 to 6000 miles for synthetic oils and 3000 miles for engines using standard oils. If your 6.7 power stroke engine uses full synthetic oil, then you can raise the bar and schedule the oil change after reaching 10,000 miles.
To ensure good operating conditions for your 6.7 Powerstroke engine, you need to opt for high-quality engine oil that exceeds the requirements set by the automobile company.
Well, finding the right motor oil for your Powerstroke engine can be an overwhelming task. It is not only efficient but also complies with the green environment requirements of reducing the emission of harmful fumes into the environment.
Though the 6.7 Powerstroke engine can use a wide range of quality oils, the best option for heavy-duty loads is 15W -40 oils. Besides, good quality lubricating oil also enhances fuel economy engine efficiency and reduces friction.
Since these motor oils are known for optimum viscosity and better efficiency, they are considered one of the best options for your 6.7 Powerstroke engines.
However, make sure to change the lubricating oil at every 5K or 7K miles depending on the type of motor in your automobile. Or else, as time passes, your engine will start corroding, resulting in malfunctioning or complete breakdown.